Shri A N Bhattacharya
Professor & Chair Marketing Leadership Program, School of Inspired Leadership, Gurgaon. www.soilindia.net
A N Bhattacharya has over 24 years of work experience in the Corporate & Academics. His experience of 18 years in the corporate includes working with brands like Amul, Dhara, Vadilal, Ravi Fans, Lovett etc. His domain expertise is in areas of Channel Management, Sales Management, Retail Management, Consumer Behaviour and Entrepreneurship. He had risen to the level of General Manager handling national level operations. His teaching assignment started way back in 1996 as a visiting faculty at IILM and finally for the last 6 years, he is a full-time faculty of Marketing at IILM. He held the position of Dean (Academics) at Sriram Business School, Greater Noida handling their AICTE approved PGDM programme. Prior to that he held the position of Dean (Academics) at IILM Graduate School of Management, Greater Noida handling their AICTE approved PGDM programme. He is also a honorary faculty with National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN) and is on the Mentor Advisory Panel of Bharatiya Yuva Shakti Trust(BYST), an NGO working for micro-financing. Being a Board Member of Academy of International Business (India Chapter), Prof Bhattacharya has organised two international conferences at IILM, the last one being in 2009 in collaboration with UNCTAD. He has also presented a joint paper at the Asian Development Bank (ADB) conference at Beijing on the emerging area of public-private partnership in enterpreneurship.
Qualification and Experience
- Master of Management Studies, Faculty of Management Studies, Banaras Hindu University.
- B. Sc (Agricultural Sciences), Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Banaras Hindu University.
- Diploma in German Language, Banaras Hindu University.
Some Selected Works
- 1. Seminars/FDPs:
- Faculty Development Programme on case method of teaching & case writing from 6th to 8th January 2009 at IFIM, Bangalore. Resource persons: Prof John Mullins, London Business School & Prof Murray Low, Columbia Business School.
- Faculty Development Programme by Goldman Sachs & NEN: Tools for Growing your Business from 31st October to November 3rd 2009 at the L. N. Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research, Bangalore. Resource person: Prof John Mullins, London Business School.
- National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN) Foundation Course Workshop on Entrepreneurship at International Management Institute (IMI), New Delhi from 4th to 8th October 2009. Resource person:Prof Somyajulu Garimela, IMI, New Delhi.
- Panelist at a Seminar on “Labour Market Policies; Sub-theme: Youth Entrepreneurship : Special emphasis on policies, organized by International Labour Organisation(ILO) and Ministry of Labour, Government of India, on 22nd May 2008, at Taj Mahal Hotel, Man Singh Road, New Delhi.
- Seminar on “ Union Budget 2008-09: Reflections”, IILM Graduate School of Management, Greater Noida, March 3,2008
2. Conference Organized
Conference Convener, VII AIB-India International Conference on Global Economic Crisis: Challenges & Opportunities, organized by the Academy of International Business(AIB), UNCTAD and IILM, at New Delhi, 17-19 Dec 2009..
- International Conference on ‘India in the emerging Global Order’, organized by Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar, 29-31 January, 2007
- Coordinator, IV AIB-India International Conference on Globalization, organized by the Academy of International Business(AIB) and IILM, at New Delhi, 17-19 Feb 2006.Panelist in a Seminar – cum- Workshop on “Retail Sector : Opportunities and Challenges” organized jointly by PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Lucknow and IILM Academy of Higher Learning, Lucknow on 22nd November 2007 at Hotel Clarks Avadh, Lucknow
3. Resource person at FDPs/MDPs
- Resource person at the Management Development Programme on ‘Media Marketing’ for executives of Rajasthan Patrika, from April 23-27, `07.
- Resource person at the Faculty Development Programme on ‘Entrepreneurship’ at College of Management Studies, Greater Noida from 14th to 21st June 2009.
4. Books/Articles Published
- Bhattacharya. A.N, Agrawal Raj, Gupta Vipin, “Changing Role of Technological Trading in India’s Globalization, published in “ Prabandhiki, The Journal of CMS-IILM-AHL ( Vol-1, July 2007)
5. Consultancy Assignments:
- Academic Advisor for ‘Bharatiya Yuva Shakti Trust, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), New Delhi, for their Marketing Modules of the ‘Mentor on Line’ Certification Programme for mentors, since June 2007.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Entrance Examination, as consultant of All India Management Association, in the year 2007 -08
- Consultant Editor-cum-Content Provider for ‘Liquid’, Noida, an ‘e-Learning Company’ for their BYST assignment since April ‘08
- Member of the ‘Entry Level Recruitment Panel’ of Infosys Technologies Ltd., Bangalore, since April ’07.
Email: [email protected]gmail.com
Dr.Umashankar Venkatesh, Ph.D.
Professor & Dean
GD Goenka World Institute
- Editorial Board member – Journal of Services Research
- Editorial Board member – Global Journal of Enterprise Information System
- Editorial Board member – Journal of Progressive Science
- Member Board of Studies- IBM, Purvanchal University (U.P.) India
Dr. Umashankar Venkatesh is the founding Dean, GD Goenka World Institute, at Gurgaon, India. Prior to this he was Vice Chancellor (Designate) for the upcoming ITM University at Gwalior, India. With academic and professional experience of more than 23 years, he has earlier held the positions of – Professor and (founding) Dean and Professor at the Institute for International Management and Technology (IIMT), Gurgaon, India; Professor and Dean at the Northern Institute for Integrated Learning in Management (NIILM), New Delhi; Professor and Head – Marketing Area and Program Director (Graduate and Executive Business programs) at the Institute for Integrated Learning in Management (IILM), New Delhi; and Assistant Professor, Executive Council and Academic Council Member – VBS Purvanchal University. Prof. Venkatesh was also offered Adjunct Professorship at the City University, New York in 2004.
With a Ph.D. in Management (Consumer Behavior), he holds Postgraduate qualifications in Management Studies (FMS–BHU) as well as M.Sc. (Ag. Eco.) (Gold Medalist). His areas of interest include – (International) Consumer Behavior, Marketing of Services, Strategic Marketing, Organizational Development etc.
His academic career started in 1990 with a 5 year stint in a state university in India as an Assistant Professor of Management Studies; he was also Academic Counselor in Management for the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) for 5 years. He has been associated with the countrywide classroom program (SINET) of All India Management Association (AIMA-CME) as a resource person and panelist. He has been external examiner for various Indian universities. He has been part of numerous partnerships with British Universities and has managed collaborative higher education programs in India since 1996.
He is on the Editorial Board of various research journals. He has authored a book on Services Management and has numerous research publications to his credit. He has designed and conducted numerous training programs for – academicians, civil servants and non-government agency functionaries in the areas of organizational design, ethics, institution building etc.
He was Advisor to Miebach Logistics (India) Pvt. Ltd., an international supply-chain consultancy based at Frankfurt, Germany and to Ethnosphere Switzerland, which is setting-up a new-concept hospitality centre in India.
Email Contact [email protected]
- Ph.D. in Management (Consumer Behavior), JNIBM, Vikram University, Ujjain, India.
- Master of Management Studies (M.M.S), Faculty of Management Studies, Banaras Hindu University (B.H.U.), India, 1988, First Division
- M.Sc. (Agricultural Economics), Institute of Agricultural Sciences, B.H.U., 1986, First Division, First Rank, Double Gold Medalist. (Topped the merit list of the department and the institute.)
- B.Sc. (Agriculture), Institute of Agricultural Sciences, B.H.U., 1984, First Division, Second Rank.
- Senior Secondary, Central Hindu School, Varanasi, India, 1980, First Division.
- Jauhari, V. and Venkatesh, Umashankar (2005), Readings in Services Management, Gurgaon, India: IIMT. (ISBN 81-902381-1-6).
- Verma, D.K., Kushawaha, S., Umashankar, V. and Sen, C. (2010) “An analytical study of rapeseed/mustard trend in India: A special focus on Rajasthan state,” Journal of Progressive Science, 1(1), pp. 1-11.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar and Paninchukunnath A. (2009) “Global economic crisis, globalization and the Indian higher education sector: Imperatives for internationalization,” Prabhandiki, 4(1) Special Issue, pp. 88-96.
- Malhotra, Richa and Venkatesh, Umashankar (2009) “Pre-crisis period planning: Lessons for hospitality and tourism,” Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 1(1), pp. 66 – 74.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2009) “Consumerism and consumer behaviour in the service economy – The changing face of the Indian consumer,” in Consumer Protection in India: Emerging Perspectives, Eds. S.S. Singh, S. Misra, K. Bhatt and S. Chadha, New Delhi: Indian Institute of Public Administration.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2008) “Pre-Purchase Information Search Sources of Leisure Tourists in India: Some Conclusions,” Tourism Development Journal, 5&6(1).
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2008) “The case for organized agri-retail – The Indian imperative,” Journal of Services Research, 2(1), pp. 91-107.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar, and Dutta, Kirti (2008) “Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Real Estate Sector – Problems and Prospects,”in Globalization and Sectoral Development, Eds. R. Agrawal, R. Banga and A.N. Bhattacharya. New Delhi: Excel Books. pp. 297-311.
- Dutta, K., Venkatesh, U. and Parsa, H.G. (2007) “Service failure and recovery strategies in the restaurant sector: An Indo-US comparative study”. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19(5), pp. 351-363.
- Dwivedi, M., Shibu, T.P. and Venkatesh, U. (2007) “Social software practices on the internet: Implications for the hotel industry”. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 19(5), pp. 415-426.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar, and Dutta, Kirti (2007) “Balanced scorecards in managing higher education institutions – An Indian perspective,” International Journal of Educational Management, 21(1), pp. 54-67.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2006) “State of practice of ethics in the hotel industry in India – some conclusions,” in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry, Ed. V. Jauhari, New York: Haworth Press.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2005) “Leisure – Meaning and Impact on Leisure Travel Behavior”. Journal of Services Research, Volume 6 (Special Issue). Also, included in Global Cases in Hospitality Industry,Ed. V. Jauhari (2007), New York: Haworth Press.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar and Kulkarni, Akshay (2002) “Employee Motivation and Empowerment in Hospitality, Rhetoric or Reality – Some Observations from India,” Journal of Services Research, 2(1), pp. 31-53.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2001) “eCRM – Issues of Semantics, Domain and Implementation”,Productivity, 42(1) pp.19–25.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2001) “The Importance of Managing Points-Of-Marketing in Marketing Higher Education Programmes – Some Conclusions,” Journal of Services Research, 1(1), pp. 125-140.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (1998) “Organising the Marketing Effort,” Paradigm, 1(1), pp. 61-65.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar Lal, S.K., Gupta, S.B.L. and Kushwaha, S. (1989) “Growth & Area Response of Rapeseed & Mustard,” Agricultural Situation in India, 44(7), pp. 577-580.
III. Conference Papers
- Venkatesh, Umashankar and Paninchukunnath A. (2009) “Global economic crisis, globalization and the Indian higher education sector: Imperatives for internationalization,” presented at the VII AIB–India International Conference on Global Economic Crisis: Challenges & Opportunities, 17-19 December 2009, Institute for Integrated Learning in Management, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar, Dutta, K. and Misra, K. (2008) “Service quality perceptions of customers of organized retail in India – A customer service context,” Paper presented at the International Conference on Services Management – 2008, May 9-10, Penn State University, U.S.A.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar, Dutta, K., Choi, G. and Parsa, H.G. (2007) “A Comparative study of consumers’ green practice orientation in India and the United States”. Paper presented in theInternational Conference on Services Management – 2007, June 1-2, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar, and Dutta, Kirti (2006) “Foreign Direct Investment in the Indian Real Estate Sector – Problems and Prospects,” paper presented in the Fourth Annual International Conference on Globalization & Sectoral Development jointly organized by the Academy of International Business (AIB) and the Institute for Integrated Learning in Management (IILM), New Delhi, India, 17 – 19 February 2006, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2006) “Pre-Purchase Information Search Sources of Leisure Tourists in India: Some Conclusions,” paper presented at the conference: Cutting Edge Research in Tourism – New Directions, Challenges and Applications, organized by the School of Management, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK, 6 – 9th June 2006, Guildford, U.K.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (2005) “Leisure – Meaning and Impact on Leisure Travel Behavior”. Paper awarded with the Editors’ Choice Award at the International Conference on Services Management – 2005, March 11-12, New Delhi, India.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar and Misra, Kamlesh (2001) “Issues in Imparting Professional Education: Lessons for Economies in Transition – A Case Study of India”, annual conference on – New Horizons in Business Education – Lessons from Economies in Transition – of the European Council for Business Education, held at Moscow, June 8-10, 2001; paper subsequently published as lead paper in the proceedings.
- Venkatesh, Umashankar and Chaklader, B. (2001) “Green Marketing: A Systems Perspective to Global Corporate Marketing”, International Conference on Globalization of Business and Markets – Strategies for the 21st Century, at the Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India, December 20-22, 2001.
- Misra, Kamlesh and Venkatesh Umashankar (1996) “The State of Local City Finances in India”, Paper presented in the National Workshop on the ‘State of Local Finances in India, at the National Institute for Rural Development, Hyderabad, India, December 1996
- Venkatesh, Umashankar (1995) “Material Resource Planning for Small Scale Industries”, Paper presented in the National Workshop on Materials Management, Faculty of Management Studies, B.H.U., India, September 1995.
- Venkatesh, U., Lal, S.K., Gupta, S.B.L. and Kushwaha, S. (1989) “Growth & Area Response of Rapeseed & Mustard”, 48th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, 13-15 Oct., 1988.
Training Programs conducted and lectures delivered
- 5th September 2010: Panelist and speaker “Co-creation of a Value Based Education System,” organized by the Foundation of Restoration of National Values, at IHC New Delhi.
- 18th December 2009: “Some thoughts on marketing in the current scenario”
National Seminar: “Recession, Recovery, Reality – Managing Unprecedented Change” ASIM – Gurgaon.
- 24th January 2009: “Talent Acquisition: Vision 2020” Address at the HRM Summit 2009 titled -Talent Acquisition & Talent Management: Trends in Knowledge Economy; ABV-IIITM Gwalior, 24-25 Jan ’09
- 12th September 2008: “Marketing Ethics: Typology and Impact” Seminar delivered at the Institute of Business Management, Purvanchal University, India.
- 29 August 2008: “Marketing Strategy Incorporating Marketing Ethics” Key-note speech in the Conference on Emerging Marketing Strategies in the Business World; 29-30 September 2008. Biyani Girls College, Jaipur, India.
- 27th December 2007: Delivered a seminar titled –Balanced Scorecard: An Introduction, at theInstitute of Management and Technology, Ghaziabad, India.
- Conducted a training program titled – Customer focus and customer care: meaning and relevance, a training session for the PG Certificate Program participants at the VLSI Design Finishing School – IIMT, Gurgaon. 19th December 2007
- October 28, 2007: “Agri-Retail: The Indian Puzzle,” Keynote address delivered for the session on – Emerging Scenario in Agri-Retailing at the National Seminar on Retailing in India: Emerging Trends. Organized by the Faculty of Commerce & Management Studies; MGKV, Varanasi.
- October 20, 2007: “The changing face of management education: from the classroom to the real world,” Faculty Development Program conducted for the Cordia Institute of Business Management, Sanghol, Punjab.
- September 20, 2007, conducted an EDP (Ab initiocourse for Airport Managers: 10th Sept. to 5th Oct 2007); for Airport Managers of the Bangalore International Airport on “Public Dealing and Customer Care,”
under the aegis of the NIAMAR–AAI, New Delhi.
- September 11, 2007: “Retailing: Implementing merchandise plans; retail logistics and IT,”
(Seminar delivered at the Institute of Management Studies, MGKV, Varanasi.)
- August 31, 2007: “Team Building, Communication and Work-culture,” Training program conducted for Incentive Destinations Ltd., Gurgaon.)
- February 10, 2007, Invited speaker at the Management Summit: India Inc. – The Road Ahead; UIM – Greater NOIDA; on the topic “Entrepreneurship Development Conundrum: Some Guidelines for Institutions of Higher Learning.”
- July 10, 2006, conducted a faculty development program on “Roles & Responsibilities of Teachers in Tertiary/Higher Education”, for faculty members of IIMT – Bengal, India.
- June 27, 2006, conducted a training program for SOS School Principals and Senior Educators titled “Effectiveness of School Principals and Senior Educators as Leaders: Training program for SOS Schools,” SOS National Training Centre, Faridabad, Haryana, India.
- March 22, 2006, conducted a training program for Village Directors of SOS Children’s Villages of India focused at Managing Careers and Career Counseling of SOS Village Children. SOS National Training Centre, Faridabad, Haryana, India.
- February 17, 2006, chaired a technical session at the 4th AIB-India International Conference onGlobalization & Sectoral Development, (17th -19th February 2006), New Delhi.
- February 6, 2006, conducted a training session for managers of Pizza-Hut on Empowerment for Managerial Effectiveness.
- November 11, 2005, conducted a half-day training program for officers of Haryana Civil Services on “Ethics and Values in Professional life in Public Service”, at the Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, India.
- November 11, 2005, conducted a half-day training program for officers of Haryana Civil Services on “Leadership and Ethical Standards”, at theHaryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, India.
- September 16-17, 2005, conducted a two-day EDP on“Verbal and Non Verbal Communication” for associates of Miebach Logistics, Bangalore, India.
- June 20, 2005, conducted a faculty development program on “Roles & Responsibilities of Teachers in Tertiary/Higher Education – Expectations and Realities”, for faculty members of IIMT, Gurgaon, India.
- June 16, 2005, conducted a training program on “Quality in Higher Education: A Service Delivery Context” for senior educationists and bureaucrats of Haryana State at the Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, India.
- April 18, 2005, delivered a seminar on “Competency Mapping – The Case of Hospitality/Lodging Industry,” during a symposium titled Competency Mapping and Competency Development – The Emerging Global Environment, organized by theIndian Society for Training & Development, New Delhi, India.
- April 11-12, 2005, Chaired session on Retailing at theInternational Conference on Services Management, New Delhi, India.
- February 14-16, 2005, conducted two training sessions for senior govt. bureaucrats of Haryana on “Employee Empowerment; and Organizational Communication”, under the aegis of the Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, India.
- March 2004, Key Speaker – “E-commerce and Intellectual Property Rights” Conference organized by the Institute of Management, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, India.
- March 2004, Key Speaker – “E-commerce – Emerging Trends”, Conference organized by ICAI and Vikram University, Ujjain, India.
- May 2003, Session Chair and Keynote Speaker –Ethics and Corporate Governance, at the Young Professionals’ Forum, Delhi Management Association, New Delhi, India.
- March 2003, Conducted a series of three induction training programs for newly inducted teachers of higher education in Haryana State. Organized by theHaryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, India.
- September 2002 – “Effective Personnel Management with Special Emphasis on Organizational Objectives and Role Analysis”, Conducted sessions on Leadership for government department personnel of Haryana. 2nd – 6th September 2002, Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
- July 2002 – Co-chaired a session on “Institutional Planning and Development”, in a faculty development program at the Birla Institute of Management and Technology, New Delhi. 10th July 2002.
- May 2002, – Conducted two day workshops on “Success by Logistics Strategy” in association withMiebach Logistics (I) Pvt. Ltd. 9th & 10th May (New Delhi), 13th & 14th May (Mumbai) and 15th & 16th May 2002 (Chennai).
- June – August 2001 – Delivered a training program of 12 weeks duration to the newly inducted Management Trainees of the Radisson Hotel, New Delhi, in the area of Services Marketing and Sales – With Special Focus to Hospitality.
- April 2001 – Handled a Training Session – “New Paradigms in Management Education – The Change Imperatives and Strategies” – in the Quality Improvement Program for Management Teachers, sponsored by the All India Council of Technical Education at the Birla Institute of Management Technology, New Delhi.
- July 2001 – Delivered a series of four lectures in the area of Cultural and Cross-cultural Influences on Consumption and Purchase Behaviour, at the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi.
- June 1997 – ‘Pricing for Industrial Product-Markets’, training program conducted for executive participants in the National Management Program, Management Development Institute, Gurgaon, India.
- April 1997 – ‘Marketing & Marketing Strategy’, Training Program conducted for women entrepreneurs, co-sponsored by the Hanns Seidel Foundation, Germany and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), New Delhi, India.
- April 1996 – Training Program on Leadership for Engineers of ABB, Power Management Institute, New Delhi, India.
- University Grants Commission (Government of India), Junior Research Fellowship, 1989
- Banaras Hindu University Research Scholarship, 1989
- B.H.U. Gold Medal for standing first in M.Sc. Agricultural Economics examination, 1986
- The Binani Gold Medal for first position in M.Sc., in the Institute of Agricultural Sciences, B.H.U., 1986
- Paper titled “Leisure – Meaning and Impact on Leisure Travel Behavior awarded with theEditors’ Choice Award at the International Conference on Services Management – 2005, March 11-12, New Delhi, India